Wednesday, December 10, 2014

My Christmas Goals this Year

I had so much fun decorating my house for Christmas the last couple of weeks and it gave me lots of time to think.  I pondered what I wanted most out of this LAST Christmas with all my sons home together.  Next year, our oldest Connor will be serving a two year mission for our church and more than likely our second son TJ will leave on his mission before Connor gets home.  It might be years before we are all together again for Christmas.  That kind of breaks my heart but at the same time it is exciting.  For almost 18 years I have poured my heart and soul into raising these boys--nurturing them and giving them the love and guidance to develop strong characters that can leave the nest and do great things in the world when the time comes.  So even though it is hard, I remind myself that this really is what I want.
But it does make this Christmas extra special for this sentimental Momma.

Some of my Christmas Goals:
*Go to the Nutcracker.  I started to worry that I have not educated these sports loving boys of mine enough in the cultural arts:)  So we are all dressing up and going downtown this weekend to a beautiful Tivoli theatre to watch the ballet performance accompanied by the Chattanooga Symphony.  I am so excited!  I am not sure the boys are as thrilled as I am, but they love and humor their Mom!  I can't wait--it is going to be fun!

*Make our favorite Christmas goodies --we have a LONG list!
 * Read a story most nights from our Christmas collection in the glow of the tree--one of my favorite traditions! I always seem to get a little teary eyed with almost every story--the boys laugh, but I can't help it!  They pull at my heart strings:)
*Go on a family drive to see all the lights people have put up--we have done this since Connor was a baby! 
*Watch our favorite Christmas movies and some new ones on the Hallmark Channel
*One on one shopping trips with each of my boys to get their gifts for each other
*A temple trip  with my boys old enough to participate
*Delivering treats to neighbors and friends
*Some type of meaningful secret service as a family

I want this Christmas to be about family, about love, about giving and most importantly about Christ!
 I am going to pray for opportunities to share my testimony and love of Jesus Christ with my family. 
I want them to know that all the traditions and fun of Christmas are wonderful but that He is the true gift and we can honor Him most when we love others and try to be like Him.

 Have you seen this video?  It gives me chills every time I watch it.  I love it!


Merry Christmas my dear friends--may your hearts be filled with the love and peace of Jesus the Christ this season and all year.
xo
Melanie

1 comment:

Heather said...

This is so beautiful. It is truly about keeping things simple and about family. I had a great little primary singing chorister experience that grew my testimony. http://bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com/2014/12/why-we-celebrate-jesus-2014-years-later.html

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs