Monday, October 27, 2014

Fieldtrips and Caramel Apples

 
Last week I drove out in the country to meet Cannon's 2nd grade class at an apple Orchard. 
The drive was incredibly beautiful and good for my soul!
It was nice to have a little alone to think about all the good in my life and appreciate the beauty of Autumn here in Tennessee.
 
Then it was a JOY to be with my little Cannon who was thrilled to have me there. 
Which I know I need to enjoy while I can--pretty soon he will be too old and cool to want his Mom hanging around with him and his friends:)
Man I love this little boy!
 
Aren't 2nd graders just the cutest?!
 
We learned all about the orchard, went on a hayride, had lunch together and left with fresh apples and cider to share with his brothers at home.
 
I am so glad that I went even though I had a long To Do list waiting for me.  It was worth it! 
I left feeling a deep sense of happiness, I knew it was one of those days I will always remember!
 
We ended up making caramel apples--YUM!
I used this recipe below--
 
 
Homemade Caramel Apples
1/2 cup butter, cubed
2 cups packed brown sugar
 1 cup light corn syrup
Dash salt
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 to 10 Popsicle sticks
8 to 10 medium tart apples, washed and dried

In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter; add the brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in milk. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Insert Popsicle sticks into apples. Dip each apple into hot caramel mixture; turn to coat.  Place on greased waxed paper until set. Enough for 8-10 apples.


 
oh these silly boys of mine!  Connor and his photobomb shenanigans--lol!
Can you tell Cannon is proud to share these yummy apples with his brothers?

 
And I have saved some of the cider to make these Apple Cider Caramels.
Hope you have a great week!
 
This morning I listened to this talk and was completely inspired.
(it was given at the mens meeting but I still found it powerful for me)

1 comment:

Jan S said...

What a lovely post! Beautiful day with people you love. Can't beat that. The apples sounded wonderful. I think I may make some caramel apples this weekend!

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs